Paragon

MSD introduces scholarships available to Parkland high school seniors

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School website has posted a flyer containing different scholarship opportunities for current seniors.

For any and all students who live in Parkland, the city has introduced five different scholarship opportunities for students with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. The deadline for all these scholarships are Friday, Feb. 9 and students need to have their applications in by 4 p.m.

“I think it is really convenient and easy for Parkland seniors who do not know where else to find a scholarship,” senior Zoha Haider said. “I think it is a great opportunity for Parkland residents and I am very glad they are being offered.”

There are a variety of scholarships available: Community Advisory Board Scholarship, the Chamber of Commerce Scholarship, the Eaton Family Scholarship, the Kennedy Legal Team Scholarship and the Mesa-Taylor Family Scholarship.

“The scholarships offered are a great way to get money for college,” senior Brandon Cukierman said. “Living in Parkland, there are so many opportunities to take advantage of, I plan to use these scholarships to ease the financial stress inflicted by attending a university.”

While all the scholarships require a minimum GPA of 2.5, some of the scholarships have further requirements. Multiple scholarships require that the students applying need to be graduating in the current school year with a passion for interests in the fine arts, music, dance, sports, JROTC and mental health/education.

Each scholarship has its own requirements and those requirements can be seen on the City of Parkland website. The Community Advisory Board Scholarship established their scholarship to recognize outstanding community and civic service.

The Chamber of Commerce Scholarship Program, Mesa-Taylor Family scholarship, the Eaton Family Scholarship and the Kennedy Legal Team Scholarship all share a goal to help remember and recognize the students lost tragically at MSD. The scholarships seek to provide financial support for students who shared interests with the students whose lives tragically ended. The scholarship is $500 and is awarded annually.

Both the Kennedy Legal Team Scholarship and the Mesa-Taylor Family Scholarship offer not one, but two 500 dollar scholarships annually. More information on the scholarships can be found on the City of Parkland website.