Ashley Rogalla
Kicking for glory. Centerback Jackie DeStefano practices her long ball before the start of the semi-finals against Coral Reef High School. The MSD women’s varsity soccer team brought home the victory for districts and look to continue their winning streak in the regional semifinals.

MSD women’s varsity soccer team maintains their winning streak as season comes to an end

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School women’s varsity soccer team began their 2023 season with some new additions to their roster. Head Coach Laura Rountree led her team to a 12-1-2 record and hopes to continue as they move on to regionals.

The season began on Thursday, Nov. 9 against American Heritage High School. This was their first official game of the season, an away game at American Heritage. The Eagles fell just short by losing to a score of 1-0. It was a tough matchup for the Eagles.

The Eagles earned their first win of the season on Monday, Nov. 13 against Pompano Beach High School. The Lady Eagles came out of the game with a 6-1 victory, moving their record to 1-1.

Following the first two games of the season, the Eagles went on to play Spanish River High School on Friday, Nov. 17. It was a very close game, considering Spanish River has historically been a tough opponent for MSD. The game led to their second win of the season with a score of 3-2, leaving them with a record of 2-1.

“Coach Rountree and my teammates have become a great support system for me, and I have loved the feeling of being able to represent the school,” midfielder Grace Dykstra said. “This team has taught me how to be a leader and teammate, especially with learning from the great role models above me.”

After coming out of their first three games with a record of 2-1, the Lady Eagles went on an eight game winning streak, with two tied games in between. During this stretch, they played against Coral Glades High School (W 8-0), Monarch High School (W 10-2), Flanagan High School (W 2-1), Cypress Bay High School (tied 2-2), South Plantation High School (W 3-0), Cooper City High School (W 2-0), American Heritage High (tied 0-0), Park Vista High School (W 8-4), St. Thomas Aquinas High School (W 1-0) and Coral Springs High (W 7-0). This left the Eagles with a record of 10-1-2.

“Being able to be a part of such an amazing team as a freshman has been great,” defender Audrey Haltiwanger said. “Our season has gone very well so far, and I’m looking forward to going to regionals and hopefully coming out with a win.”

The Eagles wrapped up their regular season and played Taravella High School on Jan. 25, their first playoff game. The Lady Eagles defeated Taravella with a final score of 9-0. The following day, on Jan. 26, MSD faced off against Coral Glades for their second playoff game and won 3-0.

“My team has made me beyond proud this season,” Coach Laura Rountree said. “We have been very successful so far, and we are headed into regionals with the hopes of continuing our victory streak. My Lady Eagles have always made me so proud and I’m so happy to see them succeed, especially my seniors who I will be sad to see them leave.”

With an overall record of 12-1-2, the Eagles finished in second place in the district. They are ranked as the 60th best team nationally, and 20th in Florida. They will play their next playoff game on Feb. 13 at 5:00 p.m. at Cumber Stadium.