Natalia Solera
In a strategic move on the ice, forward Joao Pedro Alves (9) engages in a decisive play attempting to take the puck from a Mavericks player. Alves executed a skillful move gaining control of the puck from the Mavericks player and contributing to the team’s defensive efforts.

MSD Eagles hockey defeats the Mavericks for a second time with a score of 3-2

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagles ice hockey team won their match 3-2 against the Archbishop McCarthy High School Mavericks on Monday, Dec. 4 at 7:15 pm. This was the team’s first match of the winter season. The game took place at Panthers Ice Den.

As the first period began, MSD forward Joao Alves (9) scored within the first minute of the game. Many plays were blocked by both teams throughout the period.

The first penalty of the game was given to MSD defensive man Zach Brill (4) for cross-checking the Mavericks.

As the first period ended, both teams huddled to their benches to discuss game plans. Shortly after, the second period began. MSD’s captain and forward Luke Colton (13) was given a penalty for cross-checking.

As six minutes passed into the second quarter, the Mavericks scored their first goal of the night. The Eagles tried to surpass them, but two close shots that were attempted were blocked by the Mavericks’ goalie.

The Eagles earned their second goal from forward Von Seys (28) and Seys scored again shortly after, making the score 3-1 in favor of the Eagles. “We can improve on shorter shifts and less penalties,” Seys said. “We will do this by having discipline when on and off ice.”

With a minute left in the period, a brawl on the ice broke out. Colton and defensive man Luke Mowery (6) were given penalties for the incident. Forward/defensive man David Korenblit (73) suspended for the rest of the match for being a leading cause of the fight and a Mavericks player (98) was also given a penalty.

The MSD Eagles first fight of the game while defending their teammate forward Slater Szirovatka (27). The Eagles displayed a united front defending Szirovatka during the game’s early stages. (Natalia Solera)

“We did a good job putting pressure on the other team,” Alves said. “The team stuck up for each other today”

The second period came to an end and the third and last period began. The Eagles defense was protecting their goal and stopping the Mavericks from trying to take the lead.

As the game went on, a Mavericks player threw a punch to the Eagles forward Adam Shelowtiz (77) as he was skating with the puck. Shelowitz threw a punch back, and another fight started. Players from both teams joined in on the fight including defensive man Nathan Shelowitz (29), and both brothers were suspended from the rest of the match.

The coaches from both teams began arguing back and forth about the incident, and as a result, the Mavericks almost forfeited the game. Fans began chanting and yelling, “finish the game!”

Four of MSD’s players were suspended due to the fights as well as their head coach: Adam Shelowitz, Nathan Shelowitz, forward Slater Szirovatka (27) and Kornblit are now suspended for the next two games. Colton is also out due to an injury to his knee that happened during the game.

“Next game, they need to stay out of the penalty box and throw less punches,” assistant coach Ian Kravitz said. “They hung in there, they stuck together, defended each other and pulled out a win.”

After much deliberation from the Mavericks coach, he allowed them to finish the game. The Mavericks still scored, but the Eagles were able to win the match. The Eagles’ next game is Friday, Dec. 8 at the Panthers Ice Den at 8 p.m. against South Broward.