MSD hosts third annual ‘Trunk or Treat’

Seniors Ireland O’Brien, Grace Dechene, Cameo Jordan, Arjun Madasu and Asa Dykes pose in front of their Hippie and Bathtub themed trunks at the third annual ‘Trunk or Treat’ event hosted by SGA on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019. Photo by Bryan Nguyen

Trunk or Treat is an event put on for families of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and Parkland community which is organized and planned by the Leadership students at MSD. Every Halloween for the past three years, MSD students have spent hours decorating their cars in different themes such as Twister, Carnival, Sports and Mad Scientist. As it proceeds to get dark outside, the cars are parked in the senior parking lot as they wait for the trick or treaters to come ask for candy.

The event was put together by Leadership adviser, Danielle Driscoll, as well as Trunk or Treat committee chairs, Emma Davis and Julia Hoffberger. 

“This is my second trunk or treat and when you see the faces on the kids it is so awesome,” Hoffberger said.

In the past, the children have had so much fun going car to car, picking out their favorite piece of candy as well as playing games set up for them at the trunks, such as having an ice cream station, a lollipop tree and outer space trunk.

“Three years ago, Paige Mucci came to the SGA board and [gave] me the idea and it was huge. Ever since we have continued the tradition and everyone in the community has loved it,” Driscoll said.

Between the kids and the parents dressing up for this event, there is true Halloween spirit was in the air.  

“We had a great time. The students did a great job decorating their cars and interacting with the children! It was a perfectly ran event and we will surely be back next year,” Michele Baron said. 

Trunk or treat, overall, is an event to bring the holiday festivities of Halloween to the community. Not only are kids able to trick or treat on Oct. 31, but they also receive candy the night before, at MSD’s annual Trunk or Treat. 

Parkland community members participate in games on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019, at MSD’s ‘Trunk or Treat.’ Video by Matthew Rosenthal