Defenseman Luke Mowery (6) takes off his glove as he steps off the ice after being hit by a player on Cypress. The outcome of the game was a loss with a score of 5-4.
Natalia Solera

MSD varsity hockey team falls short against Cypress Bay High School with a score of 5-4

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagles hockey team fell short against the Cypress Bay High School Lightning with a final score of 5-4. The match was held on Monday, Nov. 13 at the Panthers Ice Den.

The first period began with a strong save in the first three minutes from Eagles goalie Brandon Trokey (1) blocking the shot from the Lightning.

Soon after, the Lightning scored on the Eagles, taking the lead 1-0 in the first half. Eagles forward Artem Velmakin (8) soon after earned a penalty for cross checking the Lightning.

Trokey blocked another two goals from the Lightning while having less players on the ice from the penalty. Shortly after, the Lightning scored two more goals against the Eagles, taking the lead 3-0.

In the final three minutes of the first period, the Eagles started catching up to the Lightning. Forward David Korenblit (73) scored the first goal of the night for the Eagles, which made the score 3-1.

After the second period began, defensive man Braeden Kravitz (19) got a penalty for the Eagles. The Eagles still managed to try and pull ahead, bringing another goal to the team from forward Von Seys (28). This decreased the Eagles’ deficit to 1, making the score 3-2.

“I forechecked hard and got pucks in deep and into the net this game very well,” Seys said.

The Lightning then brought another goal to the team in the final five minutes of the second period. This made them lead 4-2.

The third penalty of the Eagles happened from another cross checking. Velmakin sat in the penalty box for the second time because of this. But soon after in the final minute of the period, Korenblit scored again for the Eagles, making the score 4-3.

As the period ends, forward Adam Shelowitz (77) gets the Eagles fourth penalty. The two teams huddled up discussing their game plans for the last period.

As the third period began, Shelowitz left the penalty box and scored for the Eagles. This tied the game 4-4.

The fifth penalty was earned from the Eagles by defensive man Luke Mowery (6). The fewer players on the ice from the Eagles gave the Lightning an advantage to score.

“For our next game, we could keep our emotions down and stay out of the penalty box,” Shelowitz said. “It was a close game in the end.”

The Lightning did take that opportunity and scored on the Eagles. The goal made the score 5-4, in favor of the Lightning.

“We could have improved in the defensive zone, but we had our heads up the entire game no matter the outcome,” defensive man Carter Alonso (21) said.

The next game will be on Sunday, Nov. 19 held at Panthers Ice Den at 3 p.m against American Heritage High School.