Ahana Tippanagoudar
Posing for the camera, assistant principals Kristine Knapp and Jay Milmed, and principal Michelle Kefford wear matching rainbow tie-dye shirts. MSD staff participated in the “Kaleidoscope of Colors” from MSD’s Inclusivity Week from Monday, Dec. 4 to Friday, Dec. 8. “Inclusivity week is important because we need to recognize all our students as equals,” Milmed said.

[Brief] MSD students and staff participate in Inclusivity Week

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School hosted Inclusivity Week from Monday, Dec. 4 to Friday, Dec. 8. The event aimed to raise awareness and support everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or disability. Created by the international Inclusive Schools Network in 2001 to provide valuable, versatile education, the event takes place every year during the first week of December.

“Every one of our students should be treated the same,” assistant principal Jay Milmed said. “They should be treated fairly and respectfully.”

Students in Student Government teacher Danielle Driscoll’s classes made art projects about diversity and how all MSD students are important and deserve good education on Monday.

On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, study hall teachers showed videos on diversity and how everyone should be able to participate in all activities. These videos included people discussing physical, mental or emotional qualities that made them different from others and how it affected them.

On Friday, MSD staff wore tie-dye or rainbow colors for the “Kaleidoscope of Colors” to show that their differences made them beautiful.

“Inclusivity is so important because it promotes a broader perspective for problem-solving because everyone has a more open mind,” freshman Bella Hogan said. “It makes everybody feel valued and respected.”

Inclusivity Week is considered by many as an important event. MSD students and staff enjoyed learning about diversity and how everyone should be treated equally.