• March 10Most MSD World Language competitors place in respective categories at district competition on Saturday, March 9
  • March 8Hospitality teacher Mitchell Albert named Broward CTE Teacher of the Year
  • March 7MSD culinary team places seventh at state competition
  • March 4MSD Literary Magazine Artifex named finalist for a Pacemaker by National Scholastic Press Association
  • March 4Wrestler Gaby Caro places first at state championship for second state title; wrestlers David Leiva and Rocco Duygulu placed third and sixth, respectively

Eagle Regiment takes first place in regional competition

Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment takes the dub.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas’s Marching Band brought pride to our school on Nov. 4, 2017 when they came in first place at the last regional competition of the year.

There have been three regionals this season, and the Eagle Regiment was runner-up for two of the three.  The last regional band competition-when the Eagles placed first-was on Homecoming night. All marching band members missed the Homecoming dance for the competition.

Marching band put in extensive hours to achieve the rank they received in this regional competition. There are three to four hour practices on Tuesday and Thursdays, and sometimes Wednesday practices are also added. Band also practices over the weekend on Saturdays from 9 am to 1 pm. If the band director feels that the regiment needs more practice, they continue to practice from 5 pm until 9 pm.

“Every practice counts, we put a lot into it. It’s [practice] beneficial as long as we put our effort into it,” said Bianca Navas.

Now that regional season is over, band will start practicing for states.  Unlike last year, marching band will not be attending nationals.  This is due to the trip the wind symphony has to Carnegie Hall in New York; the expenses are too high and demanding to ask of students.  

Last year band placed ninth in the national competition.  Our band will be pushing themselves to the limit in order to bring home the gold again for states competition.