[Brief] Parkland Public Library partcipates in TeenTober to encourage teen services and activities

Young Adult novels, comfortable seating, and desks meant for studying can all be found within the Parkland Public Library’s teen section. These items were instituted to give teens a reason to visit the library, utilize its resources, and participate in its programs, for their benefit.

Andie Korenge, Feature Editor

Throughout the month of October the Parkland Public Library is participating in TeenTober, a celebration hosted by libraries across the nation. Throughout the month a weekly activity will be offered, geared towards middle and high schoolers in the area, to support and encourage teen services in the library.

The week one activity was selfie and prize drawing. To participate teens were asked to take a selfie with their favorite book in their favorite reading location. Emailing this photo to the library then served as an entry for a chance to win a prize drawing.

A grab and go craft was the week two activity, requiring teens to stop by the public library and pick up a craft to take home and complete.

DIY-ing a sweet treat marks activity three, giving teenagers a chance to come into the library on Monday, Oct. 17, between the times of 3:30 and 4:30 pm to make a delightful treat.

Finally, on Monday, Oct. 24, at 4:00 pm, the last activity of the month takes place in the form of a pumpkin painting and decorating contest. The library will provide all materials, but registration, only possible with a library card, will be required.

The library decided to take part in this celebration with the notion that it may help to attract teens and motivate them to continue reading, despite the busy school year. They are always looking to express the sentiment that the library is a resource available to all and is meant to be used. Thus, they search for little things, such as these events, to remind teenagers of the importance of reading and making time for it in their everyday lives.

“TeenTober is meant to, now that the school year has begun, keep teens coming to the library and actively engaged in activities reading and library related,” Library Coordinator Margaret Scales said. “We are always looking to send out the message that we are here for students to use year round. I really want activities like this to give people the idea that reading doesn’t have to be a chore.”

However, teen activities are not limited to the month of October. The library hosts events throughout the year’s entirety, meant to entice teens and attract their presence. There is also a dedicated section of the library specifically for them, surrounded by Young Adult novels and finished with comfortable seating.

The library can be located at 6620 University Drive, Parkland, FL 33076 and contacted at 954-757-4200. Its hours are from 10:00 am to 7:30 pm, Monday through Thursday and 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Friday and Saturday.