BCPS holds a national school lunch poster contest for students

The National School Lunch Poster contest announced by Broward County Public Schools allows students to share what level up with school lunch and school lunch is a winner means to them. National School Lunch Week is from Oct. 9 to 13 and there is a poster contest that students from BCPS can participate in for a prize.

Every year BCPS has a poster contest for all grade levels to celebrate national school lunch week. National school lunch week is to promote the importance of a healthy school lunch in a child’s life and the impact it has in both the classroom and at home. The week has been celebrated since 1962 according to the School Nutrition Association and was started by John F. Kennedy.

The poster contest can help promote the district’s wellness policy which is a policy to help improve the physical well being of students and staff. BCPS states that the policy encourages people to live a healthy lifestyle through education, exercise, and health assessments.

In past contests, there have been a variety of themes like “peace, love and school lunch” and “wild about school lunch.”

This year national school lunch week will have a gamer theme called level up with school lunch. For the poster contest the art work should be inspired by gamer designs.

Students will decorate a poster design for their school cafeteria for the chance to win a brand new tablet. The poster can not be bigger than 16 x 22 and must feature original art by the student.

Students doing the poster contest must submit their design and whoever is the first place winner can be submitted for the grand prize. The posters are delivered to the BCPS cafeteria manager by no later than November 6.

Along with the poster contest there are other activities students were able to participate in. For students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, there was an Instagram contest where students could post a selfie enjoying school lunch, and tag @BCPSFNS. The most creative post with the most likes received a $25 Fandango gift card.

The winners of the contest will be announced at a later date along with an awards presentation.