Chelsea Townsend
Geometry teacher Lauren Bender explaining part of the lesson to students in her second period class of the day. Geometry is an EOC class that is a part of the graduation requirements.

[Brief] MSD ranks high in U.S. News rankings

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School this year was placed at the top five percent amongst all public schools in the nation for their participation in Advanced Placement courses and exams and good student proficiency, ranking #1,347 out of the 25 thousand high schools represented by US News in their nationwide rankings.

This is an extremely impressive achievement for an ordinary public school, which was put up head-to-head with charter and magnet schools. Even locally, where Broward County students are making the important decision of where to receive their education in the next four years, MSD ranks #8 in Broward County Public Schools rankings, only outbeat by charters and magnet schools.

The national ranking works by taking statistics and data from AP scores (30% of the scoring) and student proficiency (20% of the score). MSD has such a surprisingly high ranking due to its high level of participation in AP courses. The percentage of students that participated in AP is 62%. This is nearly double the amount of the nationwide percentage.

Florida not only participates in a lot of AP material and examinations, but also performs well; Florida is listed by College Board as third in the list of percentages of students scoring a three or higher on an AP class, only beaten by New York and Massatucetts.

The student proficiency in mathematics at MSD is double the overall Broward County School percentage and above the state percentage. Reading and Science statistics also show the school well above the district and state average.