Tribune New Service
Xolo Maridueña stars in “Blue Beetle.” Photo permission from Warner Bros. Pictures/TNS.

[Review] Latino superhero movie ‘Blue Beetle’ leaves viewers amazed with enticing visuals and plot lines

Director Ángel Manuel Soto’s “Blue Beetle” was released in theaters on Friday, Aug. 18. After a long awaited release, Blue Beetle exceeded fans expectations, while other viewers were left disappointed and wanting more.

Based on the DC comic “Blue Beetle,” the movie follows a boy named Jaime Reyes, played by Xolo Marigueña, with technologically advanced armor. Maridueña has played key roles in many different shows, like Miguel on Netflix’s original series “Cobra Kai.”

The movie is set in a fictional city named Palmera City, which took inspiration from the settings of Miami’s beaches and other metropolises. The original DC comic takes place in El Paso, Texas, where most of the scenes were filmed.

In the movie, Reyes acquires the power of manipulating his armor into anything he desires, from wings to indestructible shields. While he is discovering what he could with his new power, Reyes’ family is financially unstable and is at risk for eviction, leading him to get a job. His sister Milargo, played by Belissa Escobedo, finds him a job at Victoria Kord’s house. This is where Reyes meets Jenny, Victoria’s niece, who asks him to meet at the Kord tower. Reyes believes this meeting is a job interview, but instead is greeted by Jenny running away from the building security.

While running out Kord tower, Jenny sees Reyes and gives him a burger box in a rush to escape. Confused, Reyes decides to take the box home, where his family convinces him to open it. Inside was an ancient Scarab, also known as the Blue Beetle. The beetle “chooses” Reyes as its symbiotic host. This means that the Scarab will reside with Reyes and in return will grant him protection.

The main antagonist is Conrad Carapax, who wishes to steal the Scarab from Reyes at all costs. He has similar armor-shifting powers to Reyes, giving him a higher chance of winning the Scarab in their battles. Carapax is a well written character who fits into the story with his somber background and complex feelings about love and how it becomes a weakness.

This movie was a humorous watch, as it had many jokes and funny characters such as Reyes’ uncle Rudy, played by George Lopez. Despite its mediocre action scenes, “Blue Beetle” still had other elements that it brought to the table. The cinematography was phenomenal, with amazing color grading and beautifully framed shots that complimented the scenes. The soundtrack had popular artists like Lil Uzi Vert, which matched the high intensity scenes and vibe of the movie. The characters’ dialogue was engaging, and no lines seemed to be out of place.

In addition to the physical aspects of the movie, Blue Beetle had many relevant themes embedded in its story. A core theme in the movie was the importance of family. Reyes accepted his situation as the host of the Scarab as a way to protect his family. He strives to shelter them from the consequences of his new found power. During Jaime’s hardest times, his family is what helped him out his dilemas. The family dynamic creates a feeling that viewers can relate to, as family is an important aspect of life to many.

Overall, the movie was an excellent watch. It had the perfect combination of comedic relief and heartfelt scenes. “Blue Beetle” did not stray from the original DC comic, and should be considered appropriate for all ages to enjoy.