MSD students show off their style with 2023 fall fashion

Senior Ramses Cedano shows off his fashion sense for this fall season. Cedano wears a dark green sweater, baggy grey jeans, and Dr. Martens boots. I think its important to dress your best everyday, since its an expression of yourself Cedano said.
Senior Ramses Cedano shows off his fashion sense for this fall season. Cedano wears a dark green sweater, baggy grey jeans, and Dr. Martens boots. “I think it’s important to dress your best everyday, since it’s an expression of yourself” Cedano said.

While south Florida may not see temperatures below 60 for a majority of the year, students have stepped into fall fashion with comfort and style at the forefront of their inspiration. With the start of the 2023-2024 school year, and the fall season, new and recycled fashion have been making waves around Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

The majority of trending clothes today follow a theme of being cozy and comfortable, while still looking stylish and effortless. Parachute pants are baggy, casual pants of lightweight fabric with many zippers and pockets going down the leg. While they used to be a fad in the 80s, the pants have made a resurgence. Baggier styles of clothes have gotten much more popular in recent years, and parachute pants are no exception.

Alternatively, though not as light, cargo pants are one of the most versatile clothing items that have had a rise in popularity in recent years. They are practical and unrestrictive, while still looking fashionable. Cargo pants can pair with any outfit, which makes them a first pick for many.

In terms of jeans, bootcut, which flare out slightly at the ankle, have returned as a popular style.. While not as dramatic as flared jeans or bell bottoms, bootcut jeans offer a widened opening at the bottom. These stray away from the trend of baggier clothing, but are still well-liked and sought after by many. Their design makes them accessible and wearable to people of all sizes and heights.

Crochet sweaters with a mesh pattern have become a fall staple. Its potential to match with any bottoms and chic look mixed with its lightweight and comfortability makes it extremely trendy. While the temperature does not drastically fall, these sweaters are still perfect for fall in Florida.

“I love wearing long sleeve tops and different sweaters, but it’s usually way too hot so I have not been able to wear them,” senior Chloe Clarke said. “My taste this fall though consists of a lot of flared or bootcut pants, and graphic shirts or sweaters.”

Patterned knit sweaters, unlike crocheted sweaters, are heavier and warmer and do not have any knitting gaps. They also have a vintage look, unlike their crochet counterparts. Patterned knit sweaters are yet another way to look stylish and stay warm as it gets colder.

While they used to be a subculture of streetwear, motorcycle jackets have been brought back into the fashion world. They are diverse in styling, coming in a wide variety of colors, graphic designs, embroidery and an array of contrasting looks. With their different colorways and unique fit, they can match almost any outfit. Made with a lightweight material that still keeps you warm, they are perfect for this fall season.

Converse still remains one of the most worn shoes among teens and they pair well with almost any outfit people wear. The different colors, designs and iconic off-white tips make them a staple among shopping lists. With fall approaching, Florida will see higher rainfall through Oct.. Therefore, tougher, higher shoes are a need to withstand weather; and that is where boots come into the style book. Dr. Martens boots are a fairly recent trend, despite being popular in the 1990s. The versatility and styles that are provided are perfect for any outfit for any season, but pair best with long jeans or cargo pants. As they are a necessity for the colder and rainier weather, Dr Martens stay an essential for fall.

The upcoming season has brought many new trends and outfits to everyone’s radar, but what really makes a person rise above the rest is how they transform trending fashion to fit their personal aesthetic.

“I think it is important to dress well, especially every day,” senior Ramses Cedano said. “Because it is an expression, an expression of yourself, and one of the most important things to be yourself everyday.”

Come fall, many students feel that they can not layer as much and show off a whole new array of fall fashion because of the Florida climate. Fall fashion is about wearing what you like and finding originality and individuality in a trend.

“I feel like I just tend to do whatever I really enjoy. So sometimes something I like is trending and I don’t care. I’ll still wear it in my own way,” Cedano said. “Or sometimes something that I like is seen as weird, but again, I don’t care and I’ll still wear it. It ties back into expressing myself.”

Fall unlocks a whole new array of clothes and items to wear. However, style is a reflection of personal identity, and feelings. Clothing instills a sense of confidence, and it should be used as an expression of oneself.

View Comments (2)
Luke Dautruche
Luke Dautruche, Reporter
Luke Dautruche is a freshman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. He enjoys playing Oboe, skateboarding, going to the gym and listening to music.
$655
$1200

$655
$1200

• R

Ramsis CedanoNov 7, 2023 at 6:12 pm

That’s My boy proud of you son!!!

Reply
  • L

Lou Ann AlexanderOct 28, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Nice article. That’s right Ramses just be yourself.

Reply