Tribune Content Agency
Travis Scott performs during the Astroworld Festival at NRG Stadium on Nov. 9, 2019, in Houston. Photo permission form Suzanne Cordeiro/AFP/Getty Images/TNS.

[Opinion] Travis Scott deserves a Grammy

The Grammys is a yearly music award show that celebrates the achievements of artists in the music industry. With a variety of categories and many celebrities in attendance, a Grammy has been known to be one of the most honorable awards a musician can earn. On Feb. 4, the 65th Grammys award show was held in Los Angeles, where the winners of many categories were announced, such as for Best Song of the Year and Best Performance of the Year.

The most popular category for the rap community is Rap Album of the Year. Many legendary musicians have won this award such as Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Drake, Kanye West and others. This year the award for Rap Album of the Year went to Killer Mike for his album “MICHAEL.” However, one very famous rapper who was also nominated this year for the same award has yet to win a Grammy at all: Travis Scott.

Scott is well deserving of this award and should have won. He is an American rapper and songwriter who has won a multitude of awards such as the BET Award and Billboard Music Award. The only achievement his career is missing is a Grammy.

Scott has famously received nominations for Rap Album of the Year twice but has yet to win the trophy. This year many speculated that he would win the award since his new album “Utopia” was a huge success, with songs like “MY EYES” and “I KNOW?” having become extremely popular.

“Utopia” has gained over 2.7 billion streams, while “MICHAEL” has gained only 44.7 million. “Utopia” also debuted at number one for Billboard, while “MICHAEL” debuted at number 18. Overall, “Utopia” outshines “MICHAEL” in streaming numbers. The biggest song on “MICHAEL” is “SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS” with only 16 million streams, however the biggest song on “Utopia” is “I KNOW?” with over 380 million streams.

During the 2019 Grammys on Feb. 10, Scott was previously nominated for his 2018 album “ASTROWORLD” which contained big songs like “SIKO MODE” and “BUTTERFLY EFFECT.” He was once again expected to and should have won the trophy, due to the album’s success.

“My main goal was not to win a Grammy, but to make the best music,” Scott said via posts on all social media platforms after his loss.

Knowing Scott’s past with the Grammys, it is extremely unfortunate that he was unable to win this year. After not winning the award, Scott went on to perform his famous song “FE!N” at the Grammys off of “Utopia.” Scott even screamed the phrase, “They slept on me ten times!” during his performance, proving he was also very upset with the results.

Scott has made his potential clear and not awarding him a Grammy is a huge insult to him and his abilities. His domination of the music industry over the past nine years has undeniably made him a deserving recipient of one and it is about time he is given the recognition he deserves. When looking at the numbers, Scott’s fanbase and ultimately his sheer talent, it is clear that Scott’s trophy is long overdue.