Apple’s new iPhone 8 and iPhone X grab the attention of consumers

*This story was originally published in the first quarter issue of the Eagle Eye*

On Sept.12, Apple announced the next generation of iPhones at their annual Keynote event, the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. These two phones have been the talk of the smartphone community for months, with speculations about the iPhone X, specifically its design, taking center stage. Now that the phones have finally been revealed, consumers face a difficult choice–which one to buy.

Here is a rundown on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone X to help make that choice a little easier.

iPhone 8/8+

Following the numerical order of past iPhone releases, the iPhone 8 was announced halfway through Apple’s Keynote presentation with a video introducing all new features the phone comes equipped with.

The iPhone 8, released on Sept. 22, provides an overall better experience compared to the iPhone 7, with a faster GPU, powerful A11 processor, more in-depth camera and a brighter Retina HD Display. It has about the same amount of battery life as the iPhone 7. Both the iPhone 8 and 8+ feature innovative wireless charging. However, some features, such as Portrait Mode, are only available on the 8+. The iPhone 8 is priced at $699 for the 64 GB model, while the iPhone 8+’s 64 GB model starts at $799.

iPhone X

The unofficial “10th Anniversary iPhone,” the iPhone X (pronounced ten), was announced at the end of the Apple Keynote presentation, stealing the show and overshadowing the iPhone 8. The X introduces a 5.8 inch display that covers the entire phone, doing away with the home button. iPhone X users swipe up to wake the phone and reach the home screen.

They can also unlock their phones by using Apple’s all-new facial identification feature. Additionally, Face ID has been integrated into Apple Pay as a security option using the iPhone X’s “TrueDepth” camera. In addition to security purposes, the advanced camera allows users to create “Animojis,” animated and voiced emojis that move according to the user’s facial movements.

The iPhone X’s battery is said to last up to two hours longer than the iPhone 8. The price of the most advanced iphone yet starts at $999 for the 64 GB model and $1,149 for the 256 GB model. Preorders begin on Oct. 27, and the official release is scheduled for Nov. 3.

The Verdict

From a consumer’s perspective, judging by the information available, the iPhone X is not a must-have item. Upgraded hardware is nice, but many consumers are perfectly fine keeping their current phones (for most, the iPhone 6 or 7) if newer versions do not introduce any game-changing features. While the new design drew considerable attention to the X, and the improved specs are impressive, the iPhone X feels more like a smartphone enthusiast’s phone, not a phone for the average consumer.

The price is also extremely high, and for how little more the phone offers than the iphone 8, it does not seem worth the $999. While the iPhone X offers a fresh, unique design with a display guaranteed to impress, the lackluster “game-changing” features and sky-high price prevent it from becoming a must-buy smartphone.

As for the iPhone 8, it is the perfect phone to buy for anyone looking to upgrade their smartphone. The hardware upgrades are a substantial leap from the iPhone 7; the 8 is 25 percent faster.

The iPhone X and iPhone 8 also possess multiple similarities, such as the absence of a headphone jack and an all-glass design. Both phones also come with iOS 11 installed and have a battery life of over 12 hours with internet use.

At the same time, it does not trail too far behind from the iPhone X, with similar processing capabilities. The only aspects the iPhone 8 lacks in comparison to the X are its display and camera quality. While Animoji and Face ID are exclusive to the iPhone X, they are not essential for an amazing smartphone experience.