[Brief] MSD DECA hosts DECA social after school

DECA students filed into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s cafeteria for their first social event of the year on Wednesday, Sept. 20. Taking place directly after school, the hour-long outing was filled with amusing activities and games, organized by DECA officers.

“DECA socials are a chance for friends to come together and just have fun while engaging in the DECA activities that our activities team produces every social,” sophomore and DECA officer Ethan Klein said. 

To begin the social, students played an icebreaker game, allowing them to get to know their fellow DECA members. 

“I love that at DECA socials I get to socialize with all of my friends and meet new DECA members,” senior and DECA officer Emma Golub said.  

However, to make it slightly more interesting than just asking and answering questions, students were instructed to toss around beach balls that had questions written on them. Then, once they caught a ball, whichever icebreaker their thumb landed on was the one they answered. 

After this, a game of bingo ensued. DECA officers, who were stationed at every table, led their peers through the game. Students were even given the chance to win candy prizes. Following bingo, DECA officers had one more activity in store for members to participate in. This was DECA themed trivia, in which they asked questions related to the program and once again offered candy as a prize. 

Finally, to end the event, students were led to the bus loop where Cecile’s Italian Ices was being served. 

Overall, the first social was a success. Attendance was high and students enjoyed the opportunity the outing granted them to spend time with the friends they’ve made through the program—while earning DECA diamonds in the process. 

These socials are especially important to members as they foster unity among students in DECA that rarely get to interact otherwise. 

“I really like DECA socials because they are a fun way for all of us DECA members to interact and share a common interest of DECA,” senior and DECA officer Stephanie Bilsky said. 

After all, the DECA program at MSD is huge and members are spread out across all grade levels, in addition to having different teachers and class periods than so many of their peers. Therefore, these events serve as one commonality across the vastly diverse program that DECA is, proving to be something that members continuously look forward to attending.