Landon Levine
Junior Carolina Ochoa Lozano listens to the new Tee Grizzley album, “Tee’s Coney Island.” The album was released on Nov. 3 and consists of 16 songs with eight featured artists.

[Review] Featured artists rescue Tee Grizzly’s new album ‘Tee’s Coney Island’

Rapper and songwriter Tee Grizzley released his long awaited album, “Tee’s Coney Island,” on Nov. 3, which is available on multiple streaming platforms like Spotify and Apple Music. The album contains features from 21 Savage, Machine Gun Kelly, Finese2tymes, Mariah the Scientist, Cordae, City girls and two features from Chris Brown.

Grizzly teased the album on Oct. 24 after releasing four singles, leading with track “Robbery 6,” which adds on to the beloved “Robbery” song series where he raps about robbery stories. He delivers an aggressive tone for “Robbery 6,” as he explains his experience coming home from jail. Grizzley also teased a deluxe edition of the album, which eventually dropped four days after the album’s release.

The album starts with the track “Ain’t Nothing New,” which shows two sides to Grizzley. The song starts out with a slower, influential and passionate verse about his rise in the industry and transitions to an angry and ballistic tone. On this track, Grizzley raps many personal lyrics, such as, “Until you got your own s***, you aint on no grown s***.” His unique way of expressing his heartbreak or emotional feelings on upbeat songs is embraced throughout this album.

Grizzly is able to make every song sound different. A resentful version of Grizzley on “LoopHole (feat. 21 Savage)” contrasts with “City of God (feat. Chris Brown),” which is a fun pop song. Chris Brown’s performance on the chorus was a great addition and it let the listeners experience the high pitch and smooth voice of Chris Brown.

The highlight of the album is the verse from Machine Gun Kelly on “The Sopranos (feat. Machine Gun Kelly).” It was unexpected for MGK to be on a hardcore rap song, as his songs are often placed in the punk rock genre. MGK brought passion and anticipation to the song with the lyrics and the way he delivered them.

“Obviously the best verse was MGK and it is crazy because no one knew he could rap like that,” junior Sebastian Mira said.

Grizzley goes between a hardcore rap and a pop sound. Listeners are able to hear Grizzley’s ability to rap over any beat he desires. If audiences are looking for a dance and pop song, then “City of God (feat. Chris Brown)” and “IDGAF (feat. Chris Brown and Mariah the Scientist)” are the perfect tracks for that. If a listener is looking for an upbeat and hardcore type of song, then “Off the Top” and “The Sopranos (feat. Machine Gun Kelly)” are perfect matches.

“The song “Gorgeous” was the most catchy song on the album and I was already familiar with it since it has been on Tik Tok for a while,” sophomore Joie Levine said.

The album exemplifies great production and great lyrics with an energy that stands out amongst other rap albums. Grizzley has shown great improvement with this album and lets his audience know that he still has his magic touch.